Sunday, February 10, 2008

What it is

I have been down the rabbit hole for the last few weeks, really, trying yet again to sort out what to do for school for Lucy. The date is coming to sign up or not for Waldorf school again. She has had such a wonderful year in Waldorf kindergarten, but so far, what I've decided is that it is over, Grover. Lucy and I are both intrigued with the idea of homeschooling and we want to give it a try. I would not be flying blind on this: I will buy a curriculum called Enki. It is inspired by many Waldorf principles, but adds in a more conscious focus on multiculturalism and old-fashioned skill building - two areas that have always felt lacking to me in Waldorf. If we choose to bail out of homeschooling, chances are very high we'd head right back to Waldorf. The Steiner school's holistic view of the child, the "slow school" phenomenon of spending more time learning deeply than teaching to a standardized test, cultivating a love and reverence for nature and imagination; that stuff and more really fits our family's values. This decision could, and very well may, change at a moment's notice too... So that has been my obsession; the rest of the family is going about their usual business. Here are some pics:












2 comments:

WCFIELDS said...

Great photos April, I love all the different hat styles. I miss that St. George Park.
If anyone can Homeschool,it's you April! I know you have the right balance of discipline and creativity that makes learning fun and effective. I hope some lessons involve farming, because I know a great place for that digging in and getting your hands dirty, experience! Ha Ha.

Love,
Farmer Megan

mb said...

you rock.

if you do homeschool, i hope that i can gather the strength, learn from you and do the same. i just wonder if i have it in me...with 3 kids. i'm no saint, but i am intrigued with homeschooling.

we were in seattle today! we went to Children's with Z (everything is fine...we just had to follow up with her heart errythmia, which seems to have corrected itself.)

peace
mb