Saturday, February 23, 2008

Good To Be Alive...

I have an endless theme, I think , that may be losing its charm with repetition, but I love the sun. I am, underneath a somewhat reserved, calm demeanor, a fiery soul, and the sun speaks to me. I like to ignite and be ignited - by ideas, by connecting with people - family, friends, strangers, by wind, by exercise, by home, by comfort, by discomfort, by change, by stability -- by the SUN... We've had a week and there will be pictures, I promise. But for now, fire up your imagination - Monday, the whole family took the ferry to Vashon Island to meet another Enki homeschooling family. The day, the ferry ride, the sweet family, and the island visit were fun for grown-ups and kids. We ate at The Monkey Tree - the kind of beautiful but unpretentious, cozy, homey vegetarian restaurant that doesn't exist in Seattle - that I know of - correct me if I'm wrong! We explored the beach and the forest. This was our Winter Break from school so we planned more adventuring for the week. The kids and I spent a couple of days hanging out at home which gave me time to finish reading The Red Tent - a light, but enjoyable and inspiring read. Then Wednesday I took the kids on their first extended train trip to Central Washington to visit Farmers Megan and Keith who are truly the host/ess's with the mostes's. The kids and I all drank in their sweet company, the delicious food, the farmhouse, the river, the animals, the sparkling snow, the snow-covered hills, the sledding, coffee break, tea time, and of course the infamous and daily cocktail hour. It was a perfect holiday and traveling by train with kids is my number one choice, certainly far better than planes, an improvement on car/mini-van. People are SO friendly, kids are so happy at seats or wandering about, snacks are available, including half-bottles of wine should the need arise. Bathrooms at the ready. Good, good times... But we're happy to be back in Seattle basking in Daddy Rob's love.

No comments: