Monday, January 7, 2008

A Birthday Present

Last Saturday, we were all in the mini-van on our way to visit friends in Woodinville, about a half an hour from our house. Lucy had brought a small ball of beautiful green and blue yarn with her that she wanted to finger knit into a belt. She'd decided that she wanted to make a belt for her teenaged cousin Olivia, who lives in Alaska and who we'd visited last summer. Lucy remembered that Olivia had made a pink bracelet for her, plus she had just enjoyed spending time with Olivia. Lucy finished fingerknitting quite a nice sized belt for Olivia during the trips to and from Woodinville. Then the next day, with Rob's help, Lucy wrote Olivia a note and packaged up the belt for Olivia and mailed it off.

It was only just now that I vaguely remembered seeing in my desk calendar that Olivia's birthday was recently. I took a look and in fact Olivia's fourteenth birthday was last Saturday also, the very day Lucy made the belt for her. Lucy tells me she had no idea. But I am a magical thinker (I can't seem to help this...) and I think Lucy knew...

No comments: