Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Feeling Brand New

Lucy got a beautiful haircut and this is how it worked. We had scheduled what I thought would be a routine trim for her and for Jasper, really to please grandparents, well more specifically a certain Grandma and Grandmama. We walked into the hair cutting joint (Lil' Klippers in Wallingford Center), and Lucy sees a picture of a girl on the wall with a short inverted bob, inverted meaning the back of the hair is slightly shorter than the sides. Pictures would truly be worth a thousand words here, but I want the exercise of describing with words... (you can see some vague shots here)

Lucy seemed quite clear and confident in this choice so we went with it. And her hair is beautiful and it works perfectly with her face. It is like she somehow uncovered a sparkly little part of herself by letting go of a few inches of hair. And the best part to me was how quickly and firmly she decided. No handwringing, no second guessing, no asking the opinion of others - just a clear "that's what I want." And then she was so pleased with the results; she kept looking at herself and finally told us the next day that she felt brand new, like she'd just been born yesterday.

Inspired, I made an appointment for myself today at the Gene Juarez Beauty Academy, and $16 later (including tip), I too feel so brand new. I am thrilled to say goodbye to ponytails and hair clips for a while and say hello to a little sparkle. And I will have to remember to thank Lucy in the morning for inspiring me to be so brave. Crimson, the stylist, took off at least six inches of hair! Rob says I look ten years younger, easily, and it feels incredible. Pictures will come, but not tonight.

And an update on the thyroid stuff (I had mentioned that I thought I might have some sort of thyroid thing going on). I had some bloodwork done and my thyroid is fine. I was a little low on B vitamins and iron stores - which I chalk up to four years and counting of nursing little ones - and Vitamin D (that would be me and everyone else in wintertime Seattle), so that explains my symptoms. And I feel much better since I've been supplementing.

Rob, Jasper and I are down with colds - Rob so much so that he stayed home today - which is a very rare occassion. It is so great to have him home, even sick... During his "sick day," he did laundry, heated up lunch and dinner, and cleaned the kitchen several times over, as well as caring for Jasper while Lucy and I went out to get my haircut. He is amazing...

1 comment:

mb said...

nothing like a good haircut for a tired, mineral deprived mama.

let's see a photo!

mb