Monday, September 15, 2008

Summertime Continues

The official last weeks of summer have been a decidedly mixed bag. On the one hand, the sun is shining and so much is going well. We have started a tradition we hope to continue of having Sunday family dinners. We've had three so far and they are really fun. It is crazy, but we found that more time would pass than we liked before seeing even our in-town family members. So now, as long as we're in town, we're having any of the available family members to dinner on Sundays.

The mixed bag part is that my sweet brother Robby's ankle got crushed a week ago and the recovery is going to be a long process. And sweet baby nephew Teagan had a burst eardrum on my sister's 35th birthday. And all I've really done about either thing is to send peace out whenever I think of it. And then carry on with the homeschooling/child-raising gig I've got going on around here. I'd really like to make it all better...

A few homeschooling tidbits: Lucy's a proud (and messy) needle knitter. Today we read Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters - an African Cinderella story. During circle today, I introduced an odd little verse that is meant to help Lucy learn to count by twos, threes, etc (all with movement 'cause you gotta feel it before you know - I think that's the idea). I thought for sure Lucy would balk at this one, but no, she loved it. This curriculum continues to delight and amaze me with how much it engages Lucy. Today was our co-op day; Lucy spent most of it very high up in a tree with an 8 yr old fellow Waldorf homeschooled little one. They came down from the tree and informed us that they want a sleep-over. OK, maybe someday...





No comments: