Friday, April 25, 2008

Today, it is Spring!

Now today it is really spring; I have no excuses for not preparing my garden bed right this minute for the lettuce and edible flowers to be planted. Except that here I am on the computer, dinking around "talking" to you folks. And, I also tell myself, I should really do the gardening work when the children are with me, since they would love to participate. Jasper is napping and Lucy is at a play date at the moment. Before getting on the computer, I did penance by half-cleaning the bathroom. I am promising myself right this second that every inch of the bathroom will sparkle before I go pick up Lucy. Am I really writing about cleaning the bathroom? Is this the note-worthy occurrence of my day, my life? I could tell you about the sticky brown rice I also started cooking, since we are having rice balls (I'm still pondering what I'll put in the dipping sauce - how about tamari, brown rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, peanut butter, and coconut milk?), halibut (fried the way Lucy likes it) and left over sunshine soup for dinner.

In other not particularly notable news, Jasper and I had a magical walk through the forest today. We found a secret path into Carkeek park that takes us through a ravine chock full of ferns, nettles and salmon berries and slugs. And mud and birds singing. At one point, Jasper saw a bee on a big rock in the middle of the path. Hesitantly, he inched past the bee, saying "Excuse me." He ran mostly down, down, down to the wetland area and then up to the actual park. Two trains went by, he played and cavorted. We soaked up the sun rays. Then I threw him on my back in the Ergo, gave him the half of an apple that I hadn't eaten, and hauled booty back up the hill, so I could get in the cardio. It was very nice; I let my endorphine high carry us to PCC for tofu and turkey wraps and groceries for Le Weekend. Then I picked up Lucy and dropped her right back off at Tessa's house to play. Lucy asked if I would come with her to the play date and when I said no, she said, "Good!" This is after yesterday's play date with Juliette, after which Lucy said, "Mom, I love you a lot, but I love Juliette a little bit more."

So, partly thanks to my friend Jennifer who is as I type caring for my eldest child, here I am blogging away 20 minutes of my precious life. Thanks, Jen! Now I'm off to the breakfast dishes, the laundry, and the toilet-cleaning. How sexy is that?

No comments: