Saturday, August 4, 2007

Odds and Ends

We took Grandma Gloria to the airport last week as she departed for her month-long journey of discovery in France and Scotland. A sleep-deprived Jasper had nodded off for the drop-off at the airport. When he woke up, he asked me "Grandma Gloria go?" with his little hand palm up in the air. When I explained that she'd taken an airplane, he said "me airpane too pease" (trans. I want to go on the airplane too please). A case of the fruit not falling far from the tree... By the way the little guy also says please (pease) and thank you (hank you much) and no, thanks (no, hanks) all the time and it still just about kills me. In this case, the fruit is nowhere near the tree...
I've been reading Alice in Wonderland to Lucy and it is quite something. Lucy and I are incredibly entertained. She deals with the weirdness of it all even better than I do. In fact, she hasn't even let on that she finds it odd and she is definitely tracking on it. I tested her comprehension by asking her how they played croquet and she reported that they used hedgehogs instead of balls, flamingos for mallets and the hoops are made of soldiers bending over. And the queen runs around the whole time saying "Off with their heads!" And Lucy now knows the meaning of the word "execution." Can't wait for that to come up in kindergarten...

3 comments:

WCFIELDS said...

Hi April

Love the updates! You are doing much better than me about updating....

Great stories about Jasper and Lucy, it's amazing how much they comprehend isnt' it?
Maybe you should have Lucy watch me kill the chickens, to go along with her use of the word "execution"

Hey, you'll need to come out again, we have a bull calf now! He is 4 days old today. We got him on Tuesday. I'm bottle feeding him. Right now he is getting all of our goat milk! He's a white and black cow. We are raising him for beef, another execution, but it wont happen till next fall. We named him "Fletchers" after our favorite steak house in Seattle.

Megan

Annie Addington said...

Please send sweet Jasper down South to teach Will to say pease and hank you much with regularity. Will is fickle in his politeness and I think it's because I'm a lousy model. It's been way too long since I checked in on your blog so I'm just learning of Jasper's hospitilization. Sorry you had to go through it but I'm glad he recovered pretty quickly. Nothing more traumatic for me as a mother than the time Will was hospitalized with rotavirus.
Oh, by the way, we tried out the sunshine soup. Rob and I loved it, but Will not so much. "I don't like sunshine," he told me. Oh well, worth a shot....
-Annie

April said...

Maybe the idea of sunshine soup is a little more appealing in rainy Seattle...