Monday, May 5, 2008

Breaking Through

Friday was a beautiful, warm, Springish day so Lucy's class went to the Wallingford Park and stayed for a long time, including for snack. Lucy said after they got to the park, she traced her usual path through the shrubs at the park's perimeter, then hopped across the empty wading pool on concrete blocks, and made her way to a favorite climbing tree. She climbed in the tree and spent the next long while - perhaps over an hour - fingerknitting with a very long strand of yarn that she had stashed away in her coat pocket. She told a story to herself the whole while, she told me.

That day after we got home from school and Jasper was asleep, I myself went to take a little nap because I was very tired. While I napped Lucy wrapped five presents for me and lined them up on my bed. Then she set the table and prepared a nice snack for herself, me and Jasper (celery with dressing for dipping, bread with butter and jam). And she also cleaned her room and made her bed. For the first time ever without prompting or complaining, completely of her own volition. Then after I woke up and we'd enjoyed our snack together, she said, Simon really wanted the fingerknit I made today but I didn't want to give it to him. But I will make one for him now. She proceeded to make a long green fingerknit strand, she wrapped it in tissue paper and made a card for him. The card had a dot of green and let him know that the dot was a magical green dot.

Quite abruptly, it seemed, although it is really a long transition, I know, Lucy Brown was no longer the dreamy, dressed-up girl lost in her own imaginings, or just playing around the house or looking at a book. She is reaching out to me, feeling empathy and care for Simon, making her presence known in the household in a new way. I think some of her fluffy duckling down is being replaced with big grown-up feathers. Her body is stretching, with her spirit, mind and capacities right along with it. She seems to have taken ownership of herself in a new way. It is fascinating to witness.

1 comment:

WCFIELDS said...

That was lovely to read April. Thank you.

Farmer Megan